Ipswich Public Schools
Human Resources Manager
The Human Resources Manager serves as the principle advisor to the school district in matters related to personnel functions including recruitment and hiring of a diverse workforce, employment, staff wellness, regulatory compliance and reporting, policy administration, educator evaluation and licensure and record-keeping for all licensed and non-licensed employees. The HR manager is responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under his/her direction and control. Works under the general direction of the Ipswich Public Schools Director of Finance and Operations
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential functions or duties listed below are illustrations of the type of work that is performed and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed by this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
1. Responsible for the hiring process of employees with the Superintendent of Schools, which includes coordinating the hiring of support staff with other administrative personnel, maintain and updating employee applications, job postings, creating job descriptions, and routine maintenance of job boards etc. Ensures hiring procedures and strategies promote workforce diversity. Coordinates a uniform hiring criteria protocol, screening protocol, background check processes and maintenance of application materials.
2. Responsible for all aspects of employee resignations, termination, and leaves, which includes, but is not limited to communication to relevant parties, proper documentation creating an exit process/system for termination of emails, obtaining equipment, keys, etc..
3. Works collaboratively and provides support to all administrators for all personnel related matters. Answers employee inquiries regarding personnel procedures and/or collective bargaining provisions; interprets and applies collective bargaining agreement language for the purpose of delivering services in conformance with the established guidelines.
4. Provides professional staff assistance to internal and external customers of the department including members of the public, staff, board and committee members, consultants, attorneys, etc.
5. Completes employee verification requests and letters of suitability upon request.
6. Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
7. Responsible for enrolling and terminating benefits for all district staff, organize and communicate open enrollment periods.
8. Assists when requested in negotiations with certified bargaining units to arrive at a mutually satisfactory agreement on wages, hours and working conditions of employees represented by the bargaining units. Responsible for the collection of data used in contract negotiations, including, but not limited to, wage and fringe benefit comparisons and comparative contract language.
9. Works with others in the Finance office to prepare materials and maintains file for the various bargaining groups, administrators, administrative evaluations, collective bargaining and legal matters. Must have thorough knowledge of bargaining unit contracts and be able to interpret and provide guidance on interpretation. Implements contract obligations within the various systems to monitor and ensure accurate accruals and compensation.
10. MTRS/ERRB reconciliation for retiree’s life, health, dentals, retiree benefit administration, changes, tracking and counseling.
11. Responsible for all aspects of Worker’s compensation and administering the worker’s compensation program for school employees, working closely with various external parties.
12. Manages employee and retiree direct benefit payments as well as special disability retirements. Works with retirees on answering benefit related questions and reconciles retiree benefits.
13. Responsible for district level training, handbooks and policies to ensure compliance. This includes, but not limited to maintaining district’s personnel handbook, presenting various topics in a group training session, recommending, implementing and updating procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws.
14. Responsible for the maintaining the various reporting W2, 1095, Affordable Care Act Compliance data entry and reporting requirements.
15. Coordinates and manages the preparation of all assurance letters and contracts.
16. In conjunction with the HR/Benefits coordinator, meets all new employee personnel, supervises and disseminates new employer paperwork. Ensure proper completion and execution of new employee paperwork, including, but not limited to signing up for various benefits and reflecting the information in the District’s payroll and financial software.
17. Manages reduction in force and non-renewals.
18. Ensures the Human Resources page on the Ipswich Public Schools website is up to date.
19. Completes all pre-employment screening for paid & non-paid employees (volunteers, student teachers, etc.) including fingerprinting and CORI checks & ensures employees complete required trainings, including, but not limited to State Ethics training.
20. Has working knowledge and understanding of Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and coordinates and manages the FMLA process for all school employees on medical leave, including composing leave of absence letters in accordance with union contracts and FMLA. Audits records periodically to ensure compliance and completeness.
21. Works in conjunction with the HR/Benefits coordinator to develop and maintain personnel records for all employees to provide comprehensive, efficient, accurate and current record for all matters pertinent to employment.
22. Enters and updates personnel information as needed in Aspen for new and current employees.
23. Monitors certification/licensure of staff members to ensure they are up to date and prepares and provides documents as needed to DESE.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
· Comprehensive knowledge of FLSA, FFCRA, FMLA, ADA, COBRA and related regulations.
· Excellent financial, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
· Excellent understanding of HR functions as well as principles and procedures of public HR administration.
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products
· Must be a team player, works closely with the HR/Benefits coordinator, payroll coordinator and the Town HR department
· Must have proven ability to effectively research and resolve problems
· Ability to maintain confidentiality
Education and experience equivalent to:
Must possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s Degree preferred, in business or a human resources related field with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in personnel or human resources administration. Experience in public sector, particularly school district preferred. Possession of HRCI-SPHR or PHR, or SHRM-CP or SCP certification or equivalent preferred.
Annual Salary Range: $75,000-$85,000
Terms of Employment: Year-round position, 40 hours per week, annual work schedule 260 days/year, health and benefits per district policies and agreement.
Reports to: The Ipswich Public Schools Director of Finance and Operations
To Apply: All applicants must apply through SchoolSpring.
To apply for this job please visit www.schoolspring.com.